Sunday, February 21, 2010

A Reading Routine

Recently I spent some nights away from my two little girls. One thing I missed as I settled in for bed is the routine we've set up in our home. After clothes are picked out for the next day and teeth are brushed, Jetta and Mackenna settle in their bed and enjoy a story or two before they drift off to sleep. Though many nights there are other things I need to be doing to prepare for the next day, I know that this time we spend together each evening is priceless.

Reading at bedtime is important for multiple reasons. This gives us some cuddle time that we don't make time for during the busy day. It gives us a chance to relax and reflect on our days. I am passing on a love of reading to my children. Even if you don't enjoy reading yourself, as a parent you are at least showing your child it is important to do. This time is setting the foundation of early literacy for my five year old. Mackenna is able to work on letter recognition and counting. It gives her a chance to practice comprehension skills when I ask questions and allows her question me also about what we've read together.

Due to different activities and work schedules, it is not always possible for parents to read to their children before bedtime. For our family, that's what works. Consider finding a set time each day to spend time reading to your child. They will certainly benefit and look forward to it and I have a feeling you will too!

Happy Reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment